Update to the Strong Start Calendar….
Open November 2nd but will be closed on November 8th.
Update….SS closed November 21st.
Thank you, Colwood Elementary Community, for your generous support of the 2018 Tour de Rock, Cops for Cancer Fundraiser. The team stopped by this week to collect their cheque in the amount of $1206.45, raised by online donations, licorice sales, Tape it to the Teacher event and popcorn sales. Mr. Bendall was a great sport in allowing for the shaving of his head and beard to support the event. The kids went wild with excitement when the clippers hit the locks!
Also on the Tour is our very own student parent Greg Stubbs who’s daughter was able to get her revenge by cutting her father’s hair while he visited the school.
Thank you all once again for the incredible support shown.
- Reunification Drill Training & Information for Parents/Guardians 6:15 pm Gym
To enhance the level of emergency preparedness for all schools, the District is implementing Standard Reunification Procedures to ensure the safety and well-being of all students in the aftermath of a disaster. This process begins this month with this information and training. Colwood Elementary School will be practicing this Emergency Reunification Drill on Friday, October 12 at 1:30 pm. Parents and all authorized guardians listed on a Student Release Form that will be sent home next week are asked to participate. This will be an opportunity for families to exercise their emergency plan with the school’s emergency plan. More information will be shared on September 27
Parents and guardians please join us in the gym. Please bring your children in Kindergarten through grade 2 should they be attending the meet the teacher evening with you. Students in grades 3,4,5 who are attending the meet the teacher evening should meet Ms. Hislop and Ms. DeLeenheer on the school playing field during this training and information session.
*details outlining the drill and an emergency release form for you to complete will be sent home via email after our school training
- Meet the Teachers in Classrooms 6:30 pm – 7:00 pm
Teachers will be in their classrooms for students to introduce their parents and guardians too and to share their classroom spaces. This is not a formal meeting but a casual opportunity to say “hi”.
- PAC Ice Cream Social 7:00 pm – 7:30 pm
Our wonderful PAC will have ice cream treats to share with all. Come spend some time connecting with other families.
ONLINE CONSENT PORTAL –https://consent.sd62.bc.ca
Phase 1, The parent page – This is where parents login to provide and/or review consents for their children.
• When using the system for the first time, parents must use the front page to request an access number (which acts as their password).
• Parents use the verification number to gain entry. From there, they can provide consent to the 7 activities. If your student is not listed, please make sure that the email address used is the same email address your students school has on file.
1. Freshgrade (online tool)-not all teachers use Freshgrade and not required at Colwood at this time.
2. GAFE (Student Access to Google Apps for Education)
3. Media Release
4. KEV School Cash Online-great tool to be used more in Middle and High schools but we can begin to collect funds for things like agendas, grad hoodies, field trips etc. Eliminating the need for cash and cheques. More info on that process to come.
5. Short (Walking) Field Trips
6. Internet Access –
- Aboriginal Education Self Identification form
When do the Consents expire?
• Some consents (namely GAFE, KEV, and FreshGrade) expire once a student leaves the district and/or graduates.
• Some consents last one school year
• The system tracks the expiry of these consents. To renew a consent year to year (for Internet access, as an example) a parent simply reconnects to the system next school year. The system will note that the consent has expired and will give parents an opportunity to renew their permission.
How do you sign up for these consents?
Step 1 – go to: https://consent.sd62.bc.ca
Step 2 – Add your email address
Step 3 – A verification number will be sent your email address within a couple minutes. Make note of your SD62 email verification number
Step 4 – Enter the verification number
Step 5 – Click on the Consents and choose, “I do give consent”.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at 250-478-2332, firstname.lastname@example.org or in person in the front office. I’m happy to assist you when I can.
In Support of the Humboldt tragedy that happened last Friday, we are asking all staff and students to participate in Jersey day this Thursday. It does not have to be a hockey jersey-as any sports jersey will do.
Thank you in advance for your participation.
To celebrate the spirit of giving, Colwood Elementary School is hosting a Family Holiday Night on December 20th. The night is divided into two parts: activity stations and a sing-a-long. At 6:00pm, we will be meeting in the gym to have a community sing-a-long. From 6:20pm-7:30pm, families can choose to go to the following stations:
Station #1: Making cards for residents at the Priory
Station #2: Christmas Ornament
Station #3: Christmas Reindeer craft
Station #4: Making Hampers for Homeless
Station #5: Christmas Tree Ornament
Look for the notice coming home to RSVP so we can ensure we have enough supplies for the evening.
Hello Colwood Families!
We hope you and your children enjoyed a fabulous summer! We are looking forward to welcoming your child back to school next week.
Please be advised that the first day of school will be on Tuesday September 5th for only a half day with early dismissal at 11:36am.
Regular classes will begin on Wednesday Sept 6th with first bell at 8:25am and dismissal at 2:36pm. Please provide your child with a snack on the first day as they will be going outside for recess.
Students are to return to last year’s classroom until the district approves final class configurations.
New students attending Colwood Elementary should go to the library.,next to the school office,where they will be shown to their classroom.
Kindergarten students are to refer to the information mailed out to them in June or call the office for further clarification.
See you soon!