Oct. 16, 2020
I hope you have had a wonderful week and are looking forward to the weekend ahead. It’s been another great week at Colwood, and I have loved seeing the learning and connections being made in class. Please see below some important information related to PAC, Parking, and Student Verification Forms.
PAC ACTIVITIES & NEWS
Our Colwood PAC Executive has been busy organizing fundraising activities that directly provide opportunities for our students. If you would like to be involved with the PAC, they are in need of a parent to step up to be the SPEAC Representative. The job description is available on the PAC website (https://colwoodschoolpac.wordpress.com/) and they can be contacted through their email: email@example.com PAC is always looking for volunteers for Hot Lunch Days too! Here are some important dates to take note of:
October 16 – Popcorn Closes (Delivery October28)
November 5 – Poinsettia Closes (Delivery December 2)
November 5 – Hot Lunch – Boston Pizza and Subway Closes (Deliver November 12 & 24)
November 6 – Popcorn Closes (Deliver November 18)
November 13 – Christmas Card Closes (Deliver first week of December)
November 20 – Purdy’s Closes (Delivery December 2)
November 27 – Popcorn Closes (Deliver December 9)
December 3 – Hot Lunch White Spot (Deliver December 17)
Purdy’s, poinsettias, hot lunches and Christmas cards can all be purchased online at https://colwood.hotlunches.net/admin/ Every purchase you make directly helps support learning and enrichment opportunities for our students. Thank you.
In the short time I have been here I have noticed parking is posing a safety concern. I have noticed many cars are parking on the yellow and red lines and I respectfully ask that you do not do this. These are no parking zones and fire lanes, and we need to be able to have clear view and access points for emergency vehicles to ensure our students and staff are safe. As well, a reminder that the gravel lot as the back of the school is Staff Parking only, so please do not park there. Options for parking:
- Areas that are not painted yellow or red
- Brough Place residential Street
- The public lot off Sooke Road (need to walk along the field or along the gravel path by the fence).
Thank you for helping us keep our parking lot safe and accessible.
STUDENT VERIFICATION FORMS
We sent those out last week. Please review and sign and then return to your classroom teacher by Monday, October 19th. Even if there are no changes to be made, we would like them back.
Thanks again for being such a supportive community. I hope you have a wonderful and restful weekend.
On Mondays Colwood’s Strong Start Outdoor Program will be at the Esquimalt Lagoon from 09:00 until 11:00.
Meeting on the beach near the toilet facilities.
8 families are welcomed to pre-register.
On Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays Colwood’s Strong Start Indoor Program will be at the school location from 09:00 until 11:00.
Please use the Strong Start entrance at the front of the school.
4 families are welcomed to pre-register.
On Fridays Colwood’s Strong Start Outdoor Program will be at Hatley Castle from 09:00 until 11:00.
Meeting at parking lot P3 — parking is $2.00.
8 families are welcomed to pre-register.
Effective October 2020, be sure to do the following:
- Pre-registration up to 48 hours in advance is required, you can sign up through: https://jump.sd62.bc.ca/strong_start_colwood_bookings
- Only one adult to attend per grouping, maximum of 3 children per adult.
- Adults must wear masks when on the premises at all times.
- Refer to the daily check-in list before attending.
- Physical distancing is required.
- Food brought in, must be brought out. Bring your own water.
- Hand washing is mandatory upon each entry into the building.
Strong start brochure can be viewed here:
Now open for ordering!
See attached for further info!
Weekly Update for Colwood Elementary Parents and Guardians
Dear Parents and Guardians,
I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving Weekend with your family and friends, and that you found time to do something that you love with the people that you love. I was grateful for so many things this Thanksgiving: spending time with my family, a bike ride through the forest, and to be a part of such a caring, wonderful school community. Thank you for all the patience you have shown this year with all our new protocols that we have had to establish. Here is the update for the week of Oct 12-16.
Staffing News – I’d like to introduce Ms. Kaitlan Hamm as the newest staff member of the Colwood Team. Kaitlan will be joining Ms. Milne (Mondays) as the Division 6 Grade 1/2 Teacher (Tues-Fri). We are thrilled to have Ms. Hamm on the Colwood Team.
Wet Weather Gear – Reminder, please ensure your child has appropriate clothing for cold, wet weather. We will be outside during break times in rain, snow, sleet or sunshine. For safety reasons, we avoid going to the forest when we have gale force/strong winds, but we will be outside every day. I recommend sending a plastic bag with a change of clothes for those extra rainy days.
Great Shakeout Earthquake Drill – Happening this Thursday morning at 10:30 am at our school. Please send your Comfort Kits back to the school by Thursday if possible (more info on this in the PAC section)
Hallowe’en – To the relief of our kids, Dr. Bonnie Henry has said Hallowe’en can still happen this year, it just may look a little different. We will be doing a cohort-style Pumpkin Run on Friday, Oct. 30th – thank you to our Colwood parent, Heather A. for donating the pumpkins! We also will allow students to dress-up in their Hallowe’en costumes, but please follow these guidelines to avoid disappointment. Please ensure costumes are safe and respectful, in particular:
- No masks (except medical masks)
- No props or fake weapons
- No major gore or blood
Thank you for following these guidelines. Reminder, we will be outside in the day, so wear a jacket to avoid getting costumes wet.
Virtual Book Fair at Munro’s Books – Help support our Colwood School Library by purchasing items during our Virtual Book Fair Week from Nov 2 – 9. Please see the attached poster and check out all the items (books, gifts, stationary) that can be purchased. Our school receives half of the profits! Please make sure you indicate (in-person or on-line that your purchase is for the COLWOOD ELEMENTARY BOOK FAIR). Thanks for your support! Visit https://www.munrobooks.com/ to start shopping.
Information from PAC – Please replenish and send your child’s Comfort Kit back to school by this Thursday if you wish to get your name entered into a draw to win a Family PIZZA Dinner. The comfort kits are an important aspect of our Emergency Preparedness Plan, so we appreciate your help in getting them all returned this week if possible. The next PAC meeting is tomorrow evening, Oct. 14th at 6:30 pm. Ms. Kowalko sent you the Zoom link earlier today if you wish to join in virtually. Thank you to the members of our PAC Executive for all the work you do to support our students and school.
Popcorn Day – PAC has organized three POPCORN DAYS between now and Christmas break and parents can order through https://colwood.hotlunches.net/admin/ The bags are from Kernel’s and the cost is only $2.00/bag; there are lots of flavours to choose from.
- Oct 14 – PAC Meeting 6:30 on Zoom
- Oct 15 – Earthquake drill – Great Canadian Shake Out (10:30am)
- Oct. 16 – Gathering (Kindness Theme) Cohorts 2&5
- Oct. 19 – Fruit and Veggie Delivery
- Oct. 23 – ProD Day –No School for Students
- Oct. 30 – Halloween dress-up at School and Pumpkin Run
- Nov. 2 – Fruit and Veggie Delivery
- Nov. 5 – Photo Retake Day
- Nov. 10 – Remembrance Day Assembly (in cohorts or online)
- Nov. 11 – Remembrance Day – No School
- Nov. 19 – Early Dismissal (PT Conferences – more information to follow)
- Nov. 20 – ProD Day – No School for Students
- Dec. 21- Jan. 1 – Winter Break (Schools open on Jan. 4, 2021)
Dear Parents and Guardians,
I hope you’re having a fantastic week and enjoying this beautiful sunshine. I am really loving getting to know you and your kids! Here is a quick mid-week update from Colwood Elementary:
- Walk and Wheel to School – Wow, we have more than half of our school participating! I love seeing all the bikes and the rosy cheeks after our students have walked or wheeled to school. Thanks for helping to support this great initiative.
- Playground Update – It is still open! I called the Grounds Crew today and there is a slight delay. They will give us a heads-up prior to beginning this work.
- Turkey Draw – Thank you to our wonderful office clerk, Ms. Nicole Kowalko for getting a turkey donated from Quality Foods. We will have a Turkey Draw this Friday and one lucky family will go home with a frozen turkey for Thanksgiving Weekend. That’s something to be grateful for.
- Morning Supervision – Morning supervision starts at 8:15, so please do not drop your children off prior to this time, as there are no outside supervisors until this time. Thanks for helping us with this so we can keep all our kids safe.
- Student Verifications – We have decided to send home a paper copy of the Student Verification Sheets. They should be coming home this week. We have decided to do this as we know MyEducation is a new platform and we want to ensure we have updated contact information for your children. Please do the following:
- Review and make changes (if need) to the Verification Report
- Sign and return it to your children’s classroom teacher. Even if no changes are needed, please sign and return the Verification Report.
- Please return this report as soon as possible.
- SD 62 Consents – Some of you still have not gone onto the SD 62 Consents to give/not give consent for different things, such as the Health Check, media consent or learning platforms. Because we are so close to the forest, our classes like to take learning outside as much as possible, so the field trip consent is a good one to have checked off (for fieldtrips beyond our neighborhood a separate consent would be sent home). Thanks for helping us with this: https://consent.sd62.bc.ca/apps/OnlineConsent
- Thanksgiving – Reminder, no school on Monday as it is a holiday J
Thanks so much and enjoy the rest of your week. I hope you all have a healthy, safe and restful Thanksgiving Weekend!
Order popcorn through Colwood.hotlunches.net
see attached for further details
While I am not yet sure if we will be hosting a Scholastic Book Fair this year, I have exciting news that will help with both your Christmas shopping, and the library’s fundraising.
Munro’s Bookstore, an independent locally owned business with a long history in Victoria, has stepped in and is offering to run a ‘Virtual Book Fair’ for us. Here is your chance to do some shopping (Christmas or other), help out our library, and support a wonderful local business all at the same time. We will receive a portion of all sales…cards, puzzles, games, etc., as well as books.
All you need to do is:
- shop at Munro’s, either in person or on-line from November 2-8. Shipping is free over $75 and only an $8 flat rate Sooke-Sidney under $75. Or you can order on line and pick-up in store.
- tell them that you are buying as part of the Colwood Elementary Book Fair
- enjoy your purchases
Thanks for your on-going support of our library, and local independent small businesses.
Colwood Elementary Librarian
Colwood Elementary School Strong Start is re-opening!!!
On Monday, October 5 Colwood Strong Start will be at the Esquimalt Lagoon from 09:00 until 11:00.
8 families will be welcomed to pre-register.
On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, October 6, 7, 8 Colwood Strong Start will be at the school location from 09:00 until 11:00.
4 families will be welcomed to pre-register.
On Friday, October 9 Colwood Strong Start will be at Royal Roads from 09:00 until 11:00.
8 families will be welcomed to pre-register.
To pre-register for any/all of these days please REPLY to this email: firstname.lastname@example.org
A confirmation email will be sent prior to attendance.
Be well 😊
Colwood Elementary School Strong Start Facilitator
ONLINE CONSENT PORTAL –https://consent.sd62.bc.ca
Phase 1, The parent page – This is where parents log in to provide and/or review consents for their children.
• When using the system for the first time, parents must use the front page to request an access number (which acts as their password).
• Parents use the verification number to gain entry. From there, they can provide consent to the 8 activities. If your student is not listed, please make sure that the email address used is the same email address your students school has on file.
1. Health Check responsibility
2. GAFE (Student Access to Google Apps for Education)
3. Media Release
4. KEV School Cash Online-great tool to be used to collect funds for school payments. To be rolled out throughout the year. Currently used in Middle and High schools.
5. Short (Walking) Field Trips. This is important for Royal Roads visits which occur often for our students.
6. Internet Access –
7.Aboriginal Education Self Identification form
8. Freshgrade (online tool)-Colwood teachers will be starting to use this tool throughout the year.
When do the Consents expire?
• Some consents (namely GAFE, KEV, and FreshGrade) expire once a student leaves the district and/or graduates.
• Some consents last one school year
• The system tracks the expiry of these consents. To renew a consent year to year (for Internet access, as an example) a parent simply reconnects to the system next school year. The system will note that the consent has expired and will give parents an opportunity to renew their permission.
How do you sign up for these consents?
Step 1 – go to: https://consent.sd62.bc.ca
Step 2 – Add your email address
Step 3 – A verification number will be sent your email address within a couple minutes. Make note of your SD62 email verification number
Step 4 – Enter the verification number
Step 5 – Click on the Consents and choose, “I do give consent”.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at 250-478-2332, email@example.com or in person in the front office. I’m happy to assist you when I can.