Tuesday January 14th, 2020
School is open today!
The Ready Set Learn event scheduled for this evening at Colwood Elementary has been cancelled due to the weather.
With the possibility of snow over the coming days, please take a look at our weather procedures. Schools remain open if at all possible, including during snowfalls. It is always up to you to decide whether or not to send your child to school during inclement weather.
For instant updates and information posts, please follow us on social media:
We will also post to the SD62 Website: http://www.sd62.bc.ca/
Thanks for taking the time to look through this,
SD62 Communications Team
Please find attached some links with important information regarding Kindergarten registration – including Nature Kindergarten and French Immersion Kindergarten registration!
*NOTE: Parents MUST attend an information session BEFORE they register their students for Nature Kindergarten. Two upcoming sessions are scheduled.
- Sangster Elementary
- Thursday, January 9, 6:30 p.m.
- Saseenos Elementary
- Saturday, January 11, 10:30 a.m.
Also, we are including a video that talks about Late Immersion in the French Program at SD #62. For parents and guardians of students in grade 5 hoping to enroll in Late French Immersion – please note there will be an information session this Thursday evening. If you require additional information about Late French Immersion please email email@example.com
In the spirit of giving, our Colwood community, for the past few years, has been collecting items to create comfort kits for members of our community who need some extra comfort over the holiday season. In the past, we have donated our kits to Our Place. This year, we would like to collect the following items:
Day 1: Monday, Dec. 2 ~ Gloves
Day 2: Tuesday, Dec. 3 ~ Hats
Day 3: Wednesday, Dec. 4 ~ Scarves
Day 4: Thursday, Dec. 5 ~ Hot Pockets
Day 5: Friday, Dec. 6 ~ Chapstick
Day 6: Monday, Dec. 9 ~ Socks
Day 7: Tuesday, Dec.10 ~ Hand sanitizer/wet wipes
Day 8: Wednesday, Dec. 11 ~ Toothpaste and Toothbrush
Day 9: Thursday, Dec. 12 ~ Granola bars
Day 10: Friday, Dec.13 ~ word searches/puzzle books
Day 11: Monday, Dec. 14 ~ card making in class
Day 12: Tuesday, Dec. 15 ~ Leadership team to assemble Comfort Bags for Our Place
ONLINE CONSENT PORTAL –https://consent.sd62.bc.ca
Phase 1, The parent page – This is where parents login to provide and/or review consents for their children.
• When using the system for the first time, parents must use the front page to request an access number (which acts as their password).
• Parents use the verification number to gain entry. From there, they can provide consent to the 7 activities. If your student is not listed, please make sure that the email address used is the same email address your students school has on file.
1. Freshgrade (online tool)-Colwood teachers will be starting to use this tool throughout the year.
2. GAFE (Student Access to Google Apps for Education)
3. Media Release
4. KEV School Cash Online-great tool to be used to collect funds for school payments. To be rolled out throughout the year. Currently used in Middle and High schools.
5. Short (Walking) Field Trips
6. Internet Access –
- Aboriginal Education Self Identification form
When do the Consents expire?
• Some consents (namely GAFE, KEV, and FreshGrade) expire once a student leaves the district and/or graduates.
• Some consents last one school year
• The system tracks the expiry of these consents. To renew a consent year to year (for Internet access, as an example) a parent simply reconnects to the system next school year. The system will note that the consent has expired and will give parents an opportunity to renew their permission.
How do you sign up for these consents?
Step 1 – go to: https://consent.sd62.bc.ca
Step 2 – Add your email address
Step 3 – A verification number will be sent your email address within a couple minutes. Make note of your SD62 email verification number
Step 4 – Enter the verification number
Step 5 – Click on the Consents and choose, “I do give consent”.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at 250-478-2332, firstname.lastname@example.org or in person in the front office. I’m happy to assist you when I can.
HOT LUNCH ORDERING
As we get ready for another exciting year at school, it is also time to get the Hot Lunch Program up and running. We will be doing online ordering for all orders to ensure accuracy with the orders and to make the process as easy for everyone as possible.
Here’s how to get started…
- Go to colwood.hotlunches.net
- Click on “Click Here to Register”
- Enter Access Code: colwood
- Complete the rest of the registration form. (Including your email address will ensure you receive reminder emails about hot lunch order deadlines, and your child’s hot lunch order for the upcoming week)
- Click the “Register Now” button at the bottom
- Follow the instructions to add each child in your family who attends Colwood Elementary. Once your child(ren) are registered, click on “Orders”
- Proceed to order hot lunch for your child(ren)
We prefer to take hot lunch order payments through PayPal (www.paypal.com). NO cash payments will be accepted at any time.
We will accept cheque payments once in September (for lunches Sept-Dec) and once in January (for lunches Jan-June). If you want to pay monthly, you will need to use PayPal. No exceptions will be made.
You can either pay with a credit card as a PayPal guest (Visa, Mastercard or Amex), or set up your own PayPal account.
The hot lunch online order system requires a small amount of setup time at the beginning as you must register each child you have attending our school prior to ordering hot lunch. Once the initial setup process is complete, your hot lunch orders for the remainder of the year should be quick and simple.
If you have questions, feel free to contact the Hot Lunch team directly at email@example.com. Please note hot lunch is run by the PAC and we are all parent volunteers. If you would like to help, we would love to have you! You can come once or as many times as you’d like.
**Please Note: Should you experience any issues with your PayPal account, you must contact PayPal directly to solve the issue.